RE: [ga] Do we need TLDs at all?

Of course they have their own registry. Each zone-file has to have one. The
only issue is whether it's a manual registry or an automated one.
Regardless, it's still a registy.

Yes, those domains are restricted. In fact, they still hold to their
original charters. Fine examples of properly defined charters and
enforcement.

IMHO, ALL zones are chartered. It only remains to detrmine what those
charters are.