Re: [ga] Critics say VeriSign still has...

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 04:19:34PM -0700, gavin.stokes@autodesk.com wrote:
> Hi Kent.
>
> That is an interesting comparison.  In terms of selling a company
> along with its domain (or any domain-ownership transfer), this could be
> addressed by handling the transfer through the original registrar, at
> the standard price for domain registration.

Sure.  What you describe is precisely the current situation.  But the
problem is what you have to pay the person to get them to agree to the
transfer in the first place, and the registrar doesn't enter into that
transaction.  These side transactions are in fact what people are
referring to when they say "sell a domain".  The registrar can't
possibly be expected to police such side transactions.  So basically, I
think it is simply impossible to effectively prevent the selling of
domains.

Instituting a "use it or lose it" policy essentially requires that it be
part of the "charter" of the domain.  The charter of the domain would
have to define "use".  Obviously this isn't somthing that is going to
happen immediately...

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be