[ga] Constituency Structure - Supply and Demand

All

I refer to debate on other lists (see below) and raise it with the DNSO GA.

If you have a look at http://www.dnso.org/ you will see there are seven
"Constituency Groups" in ICANN's DNSO.   The purpose of these groups is to
provide input into ICANN's policy process.  The existing groups are:

* ccTLD registries
* Commercial and business entities
* gTLD registries
* ISPs and connectivity providers
* Non-commercial domain name holders
* Registrars
* Trademark, intellectual property, anti-counterfeiting interests

Within this framework, there is a classification problem.  A Registry is a
business, so is a Registrar.  In Australia, Connect.com is both a Registry and a
Registrar for .net.au.  The new gTLDs have a similar combined model.

After the Registrar, the next step in the supply-demand chain is the
Registration Service Provider or RSP.  If you look at Tucows-OpenSRS, they have
5,000 such "resellers".  These are not currently included in the "Registrars"
constituency.  Finally, there is the "registrant" giving:

(1)    Registry                                   (Verisign Registry)
(2)    Registry-Registrar                  (new gTLDs, ccTLDs)
(3)    Registrar                                  (ICANN-accredited registrars)
(4)    Registration Service Providers     (like OpenSRS resellers)
(5)    Registrant                                (may be further sub-divided).

In Australia we separate the chain into "supply" and "demand" of domain names.
There is also a third category for internet organisations such as ISOC.
Structurally this is quite sound although the third category is perhaps less
well-defined that the first two.

Of course, the "registrant" community can also be divided into (a) business (b)
hobbyist (c) personal (d) non-user (i.e. speculator etc.) etc.

Each category has to be identifiable and coherent with respect to the other
categories.  Registrants, for example, are easily identified as a constituency
from the whois record.  Within that you can have different legal entities.

On the "demand" side most "punters" can be divided into groups such as:

* individuals (.id or .per)
* sole traders and partnerships
* large & small businesses (dotcom)
* networks and service providers (ISPs, ASPs) (.net)
* government authorities (.gov)
* military establishments (.mil)
* associations (trade, cultural, etc) (.asn.au in Australia)
* churches and religions
* charities, NGOs (.org ?)
* educational institutions (dot edu)
* conferences (.conf.au in Australia)
* information resources (.info or .info.au in Australia)
* co-operatives (.coop)
* miscellaneous/other organisations

However, I can also see a need for other "demand" groups like the following:

* mobile phones
* vending machines
* radio & tv stations
* phone boxes
* residences (houses, units, etc.)
* vessels (ships, boats & ferries)
* unincorporated associations
* aircraft
* cars, trucks & taxis
* robots
* industrial processes
* trains
* railway stations

Some of these will possibly be pushing the case for new TLDs in the ICANN root
and this would promote diversity.   This demand has prompted the growth of
alternative TLDs which, together with their registrants, are outside ICANN.

However, there is clearly an inherent division between "supply" and "demand".
The idea of "virtual constituencies" also makes sense given the complexities
involved.  I consider the DNSO GA should review its structure in this area.

This analysis identifies one area of difficulty, the ccTLDs.  These are clearly
on the "supply" side of the equation but at a different level.  This is perhaps
demonstrated by the absence of the ccTLD Registrars from the "registrars"
constituency.  Of course, they may or may not have a voice within the ccTLD.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss