Re: [ga] Re: Privacy/WHOIS

Paul and all remaining assembly members,

Paul M. Kane wrote:

> Danny
>
> Thanks for your email.  There are two committees with very similar titles, but
> they are very different.
>
> The Names Council WHOIS Committee is not due to start it's work of soliciting
> comments on the WHOIS issue until the ICANN Staff WHOIS Committee publishes its
> report, which is due out in about two weeks.

  This seems terribly backwards.  Any report should include input from
the stakeholder community BEFORE the WHOIS Committee even convenes.
So much for open process again...  :(

> There are no archives of the WHOIS Staff Committee, but please be assured one
> thing the NC members want to ensure is that all interested parties have the
> opportunity to present position papers and for peer review/comment on those
> position papers.

  This is not adequate or reasonable.  Archives should have been taken
and/or provided for so ALL can review.

  Position papers, as has been the ICANN BoD's and staffs practice in the
past are just another black hole to which these position papers are filed.
Again inadequate and not appropriate with good process.

>  When we have the web site set-up and the comment (and archive)
> mechanism in place I urge all GA members to submit opinions/positions. If the GA
> would like to start preparing its position paper that would be most welcome.

  I hope this mechanism is a Mailing list?  Not a Web interface comment
site.

> Once the consensus areas have been identified, and the areas where more work is
> necessary established, the NC WHOIS Committee will submit a report to the full
> NC - who will then form either a Task Force or a Working Group to address the
> issues where more attention is necessary.

  How, and whom determines where more attention is necessary?  What
is the criterion?

> I'll write to you and the GA when we the mechanisms in place and are about to
> start inviting papers and soliciting comments.

  That would be great!  Look forward to it!

> Thanks again....
>
> Paul Kane
> Chair NC WHOIS Committee
> (not the ICANN Staff WHOIS Committee !!)
>
> "babybows.com" wrote:
>
> > Dear Paul,
> >
> > As the issue of privacy is of great concern to many members of the General
> > Assembly, I, and assuredly many others, would be grateful for the
> > opportunity to participate in your WHOIS Committee activities.
> > Unfortunately for those of us interested in pursuing this issue, there seems
> > to be some difficulty finding any public archives listed that record your
> > committee's dialogue on this topic.  I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly)
> > that you communicate via a mailing list, and that such archives are
> > available for public review.  If you could advise the URL, it would be most
> > helpful and sincerely appreciated.
> >
> > Fortunately, I have been able to find the preliminary report of your
> > committee (13 Dec 2000)
> > http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc04/msg00571.html which states:
> >
> > "Objective of this Report
> >
> > This initial effort aims at evaluating whether it is proper for ICANN
> > staff to set up the Whois Committee through lack of consultation
> > process with other relevant interest parties which has brought up
> > criticisms such as lack of openess and its transparent procedural flaw."
> >
> > Can you perhaps provide an update?   It would be nice to know if your
> > initial objective has been met.   Have you reached conclusions with regard
> > to the ICANN staff issues?  It has been now almost four months since the
> > release of your report... may I ask if you have moved on to policy
> > considerations?  If so, might you briefly summarize those considerations?
> >
> > It is my belief that many members of the General Assembly are more than
> > willing to assist the Committee in its efforts to deal with the Privacy
> > issue as it relates to WHOIS.  I for one would certainly welcome the
> > opportunity to participate in a working group devoted to this topic.  Can
> > you advise if you are willing to convene such a working group?
> >
> > Thanking you for your assistance,
> > Danny Younger

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827