Re[2]: [ga] No Members?

Hello Kevin,

Wednesday, April 04, 2001, 12:28:06 PM, Kevin J. Connolly wrote:

> The only document that matters in this context is the certificate of incorporation. That's located at http://www.icann.org/general/articles.htm. Please read the document. I think it says that while
> ICANN may elect to have members in the future (and spells out some of what those rights will be) nowhere is there a statement that ICANN has members.

> The question of whether ICANN _should_ have members is entirely distinct and, I believe, a distraction at this point in time.

The way I read it, Kevin, the documents can only provide for an
explicit statement on the subject of membership, but that under the
law members may be created and/or recognized through practice, even if
not expressly recognized by the corporate documents.

That seems to largely agree with Karl Auerbach's assessment, and in
reading the relevant material on the subject, he seems to make a
strong case for that.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com