From: Patrick Corliss [mailto:patrick@quad.net.au]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 6:33 PM
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand
Cc: Roberto Gaetano; Jonathan Weinberg; Eric Dierker; Danny Younger;
[GA]
Subject: Re: [ga] withdrawal of candidacy

Hi Harald

Thank you for your interesting post about the withdrawal of Jon Weinberg
from
the election for the Chair of the General Assembly.  I believe Jon has acted
properly and should be congratulated for his integrity.  It is, perhaps, a
pity
that the current procedure doesn't allow candidates to nominate for the
Chair
and co-Chair positions separately.  The outcome may well have been
different.

Although I am a candidate I would like to make one or two other important
points, if I may.

(1)    I don't believe any of the three remaining candidates should drop out
MERELY because they see the result as a foregone conclusion.  As Jon's
decision
showed, the race is not over until the decision is announced.

(2)    Similarly, all registered voters should not think that the result is
decided but should cast their vote for their preferred candidates in the
order
of that preference as this is important to demonstrate legitimacy of the
result.
The more votes there are the more legitimate is the result.

(3)    Harald has proposed two reasonable choices (see below), the first
choice
could see the votes counted and the votes declared.  This is separate from
the
announcement of the winner.  It is easy enough, for example, to say
something
like:

"The votes cast in this election were as follows Candidate A (Jon Weinberg)
- 90
votes, Candidate B - 80 votes, Candidate C - 60 votes, Candidate D - 40
votes.
As Candidate A has withdrawn I declare Candidate B the winner."

It is my view that all of the votes on the ballot paper must be counted
exactly
in accordance with how they have been cast.  To do otherwise, in the
slightest
degree, causes the perception, however slight or misinformed, that the
election
may not be legitimate.

I agree it's a waste of time to count votes for a withdrawn candidate but it
must be done.

However, I would suggest that nobody draws any conclusions from the size of
the
vote cast for a withdrawn candidate as it is impossible to determine the
intentions of those who voted prior to his withdrawal what they would have
voted
if they had voted afterwards.

On another note I cast my own vote shortly after receiving the ballot paper.
It
now occurs to me that there was a small window before the ballot officially
opened.  If this is in fact the case, some votes may be deemed invalid as
cast
outside the declared time frame.  My vote could be affected.

Because of the difficulties with time zones, I would appreciate it if you
would
advise whether such an irregularity could occur and, if so, how should it be
dealt with.  I open this for public comment.

Best wishes to all candidates.
Patrick Corliss