Re: ITU and BIND configs (Re: [ga] GA position on Verisign contract)

On 14:10 29/03/01, Harald Tveit Alvestrand said:
>this is just plain silly. What does one do when those sources conflict?

Source? Since when a config file like root.ca can be qualified of source?

>as new.net has demonstrated, they WILL conflict, unless one has a
>governing body that ensures they don't. And if so - what is the improvement?

New.net is obviously a wrong example since they are not at root level. I am
surprised that the Chirman of the IEFT may use such a ploy to support his
point. Either your point is good and please use relevant example, or your
point is not and please do not try to confuse the issues.

Now the remark about conflicts is correct. The improvement is that the
regulation will not come from a legal staff and thousands/billions of
dollars but from a the market and the users. The crrent scarcity of TLDs
has created a wrong economical which will be corrected.

You point is possible conflicts.
My point is existing disrepect of bylaws and charter.

Your position is like saying "if we allow people to do all what they are
allowed to, there will be problems. So let put them in camps and let
control everythikng they do". Mine is to say "let them to do what they are
allowed to and let manage it".. Upto you to feel what the future will be.

>btw, it is rather obvious that you have not seen the configuration files
>of BIND; it does not work the way you think it does.

This kind of childish remark does not bring anything to the discussion,
except may be that you de facto acknowledge I am right while you not want
to tell it...

Harald, what I say is simply that if BIND was written in a slightly
different way, the whole conception of the iCANN and the USG will be
different. Exactly like if the use of the DNS was slightly different the
whole TM issue would be different. This you should undestand and know.
(Will I have some spare time, I will pick and change my named code and use
it for my own root).

This only means that the ICANN/Staff 's TLD model is so much linked to a so
limited use of the DNS that if we allow them to continue they will meet
real problems and affect the stability of the network. They are like a big
truck running at 10 mph on an highway and trying to impose its speed  to
others....

Jefsey