Re: [ga] Top Level Domain Association - NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST

At 16:23 30/03/2001 -0500, JandL wrote:
>It is my understanding, as I have said before, that ALL TLD holders
>are welcome to join the TLDA.  This includes the DoC and DoC could
>have ICANN represent them.  If the premise is to open
>communication among all parties, how is this in any way a conflict?
>Bringing the Internet community together is supposed to be the aim
>of these organizations.

The TLDA has not defined what it is to "hold" a TLD.
I wonder how the TLDA will adjust to the situations:

a) where a member "holds" a TLD (by their definition), and a nonmember
wishes to join, "holding" a TLD with the same name
b) where an existing member starts insisting that he "holds" a TLD of the
same name that another existing member "holds"
c) where a nonmember claims to "hold" a TLD of the same name that a TLDA
member "holds", but shows no interest in joining the TLDA

The answers to those questions will pretty much determine whether the TLDA
will be a "we are not ICANN" club, a coordinating body for a coherent
alternative root name set, a club of "we got here first" TLDsquatters, or
something different from the above.

I cannot evaluate the effort before those answers are in.
Unfortunately, getting to those answers will involve a great deal of work
within the organization, meaning that I am not likely to know for some time.

Good luck.

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand       At Cisco  : alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94               IETF chair: chair@ietf.org