Re: [ga] Corrections and Additions to my Post

I think I've been confused with Mike Roberts and statements made by him
have been attributed to me.   Please note that - far from claiming that the
proposed new agreement negotiated by Verising and ICANN staff did not
involve any policy change - I argued strongly that it involves a critical
policy change that goes to the heart of the ICANN competition model and that
the Board should make no decision on this issue pending advice from the
DNSO.

The following seriously misrepresents my position:
> Also...the real-time scribe's notes from Erica Roberts:
>
> Roberts: Share Fockler's concern re demonstrating commitment to bottom-up
> process. Verisign negotiated a short-term extension on their cooperative
> agreement with the DoC (Amendment 11). Then government-NSI negotiation
came
> to include ICANN also (leading to Amendment 19). Proposed resolution was
> posted in September 1999, agreed to by Board in November 1999. Clock has
> been ticking ever since then. Have had discussions with Verisign since
last
> fall re how Verisign would satisfy obligations of contract. Staff never
> purported to reopen policy aspects of this matter, and do not purport to
do
> so now. Short, high-intensity dialogue began in January, leading to this
> document, which was posted on March 1, as soon as respective legal teams
> gave the go-ahead. So this was not a policy process, and is not an
> abrogation of ICANN's general bottom-up process.

I believe that the proposed new agreement represents a significant policy
change and that the DNSO must be given reasonable opportunity to consider
the proposal and provide advice to the Board.   If the Board wishes to
preserve the credibility of ICANN as a 'bottom up' organisation,  the Board
should take no decision on this matter until it has received advice from the
DNSO.

Erica