RE: [ga] competition ?

Hello Peter

|> There are a lot of postings about the role of US government, profit and
|> non-profit companies controlling name space, etc.
|>
|> What about "Status quo" or "new deal" ?

I do believe the discussion today was relevent in that it mainly concerned
competition models.  This has relevance as under the new proposal there is no
need for Verisign to divest itself of either the Registry or the Registrar side
of its business.  The discussion today covered the need for competition at the
Registry level.  This may be of use to those who are considering this aspect.
As stated previously, I would like to see Verisign divest itself of either the
Registry or the Registrar functions.

|> Will the competition model under the two deals really matter once the new
|> gTLDs turn on?

This is a good point.  Should there be a requirement for any Registry to only
operate one TLD?  Is there any need to force Versign to divest itself as there
will soon be other players acting as Registries with the new TLD's?

|> Presumably, VeriSign will have little to do with this area, except possibly
|> as one of many registrars in the game.

There would appear to be a need to not only have competition at the Registrar
level but to make sure there is also competition at the Registry level.  Do
people think there will be enough competition introduced with the new TLD's and
Registries?  Personally I do not think so if Versign is allowed to continue with
both Registry and Registrar functions.

|> Does anyone think their (VeriSign's) market share will decrease with new
|> gTLDs in the marketplace?

I consider it will decrease, by how much is another matter.  It would certainly
not decrease in the short term to more acceptable(?) levels.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.