RE: [ga] Draft Resolution

I'm interested in better understanding where the stakeholders are on
different perspectives: for instance, if the registry model  for TLDs are
based on "not for profit" models/assumptions, and the competition
essentially begins with the registrars,who are all allowed to (if
accredited) to register in all ICANN accredited registries), then the number
of registrations in a particular registry is less relevant, it seems to me.
There has to be some mechanism to prevent price gouging, etc. in this model.
Otherwise, we'd see bad practices at the registry level, such as charging
different prices for different names to the registrars, who would pass that
along to the user.  Competition among registry/TLDs doesn't seem to be quite
the full answer.

Some may disagree with me, but in fact, over time, some TLDs are likely to
be more "used" than others.  There are a lot of factors to consider in how
that evolves.  And, some TLDs may be (unfortunately) primarily/initially
filled with duplicate registrations from .com, since defensive registrations
will be necessary to avoid consumer confusion, fraud, and trademark
dilution.  I see no relief from that in some TLDS.

We'll have to wait and see if in fact, new registrations dominate, or if the
space is largely defensive registrations.

As new services evolve, and directories become more useable/available,
perhaps we'll see a move to more "friendly" names (longer, complete words,
etc.)  That may also create new forms of expansion of the name space.

However, in the meantime, of interest, and note, in fact, the present
approach in ICANN seems to also support the concept of "niche" TLDs, that
is, those who are likely to have a limited, but important group of potential
registrants, such as in .museum, for instance.  This concept seems to serve
the stakeholders by logical expansion of the name space, for stability,
usability, and minimized confusion by users, rather than to focus on
creating a registry as a money making endeavor for itself.

Treating a registry/TLD as a limited resource, somewhat like spectrum, seems
to be consistent with the ccTLDs' practices, (or most of them).

I don't really see how registry "competition" can work, in short.  But if
someone can describe their vision, I'm willing to listen.