[ga] Re: Increase in renewal fees in bad faith/fraudulent by .NU and .MD domains.

January 19, 2001

To: ICANN

To: Bill Semich, .NU Domain

Re: Increase in renewal fees for domains by .NU and
.MD  Registrars - clearly in bad faith, probably
fraudulent, "blackmail" type of behavior - that must
be regulated and prohibited by ICANN, failing that by
the U.S. Government.

Hello Bill,

I've got a big problem with .Nu domains:

When I and my company first bought some .NU domains,
we entered into a contract to pay that price ($25) per
year for as long as we wished to own each domain. We
did not agree to rent the domains from you, nor to
give you a blank check to raise the prices in the
future.

I have recently been informed that you have raised
prices, and will not allow us to continue to renew
each year at $25 per year. I believe that this is in
bad faith, and is a breech of contract, and perhaps
fraudulent.

Please respond as to how you feel you are legally and
ethically entitled to change your prices for an
existing customer. This is an issue that must be
addressed by ICANN and by the U.S. Government. Surely,
neither .NU nor any other organization should be
allowed to "hold hostage", as it were, a domain by
raising the price upon renewal. This is, in our
opinion, akin to blackmail. We have expended
considerable resources, including time and money, for
each of our .NU domains, and we believe it to be in
very bad faith for you to raise renewal prices. We are
a "captive audience", indeed much more than an
"audience" - a customer in face, and you hold a
monopoly position. The .MD people are trying to do the
same thing to us, and with a much bigger price
increase. This kind of fraudulent practice in bad
faith must be clearly prohibited, and I call on ICANN
to prohibit this before the U.S. Congress does.

Sincerely,

Matt Hooker
President
Strategic Investment Management Inc.