Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:08:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Karl Auerbach <karl@cavebear.com>
Subject: Re: [IFWP] What a candidate for ICANN director needs to know...

ICANN has so far not responded to the attached questions.

I've continued to inquire into the issue of liability of "volunteer"
directors of California non-profits and what I have found concerns me.

There are several statutes that purport to protect "volunteer" directors.
But they are subject to many pre-conditions and limits.  And I have not
yet seen anything concrete that indicates that ICANN meets many, if any,
of those pre-conditions.

So it would not surprise me to discover that ICANN's "volunteer" directors
are as naked of liability protection as a newborn baby.

Any candidate for Director ought to be concerned about that - one's entire
personal wealth could be on the line.

I'm surprised that the current directors have not instructed "staff" to
put together an information package so that those directors could have
evaluated the risk to themselves.

I do wonder whether each of the current Directors (and candidates) realize
that they really need to have their own personal counsel for legal advice.
Corporate counsel owes its obligation to the legal entity of the
corporation.  Corporate counsel's obligation to individual Directors (and
members and officers) exists only to the extent that it is not in conflict
with counsel's obligation to the corporation.

		--karl--