Re: [ga] Voting rules, take 4

The way around this is limit the number of votes to one vote per person
per
question/poll/seat/issue/etc..   then I would adopt an adaptation of the
third legacy rules of voting
(aka roberts rules of voting)

Simply put:

Winners must carry a 2/3 majority of the votes casted.  To do this, all
candidates are put on the ballot, after the first ballot any candidate
with over a 2/3 of the votes cast wins the seat.  If no candidate has
two thirds of the vote, then all candidates with less than 1/5th of the
cast votes are automatically dropped (the top two vote getters are
automatically retained for the next ballot)  This is continued until
someone gets two thirds of the vote, or until three ballots (possibly
four) have been done.  If after three or four votes, no candidate has a
majority of 2/3 of the vote then the candidate with the majority of
votes wins the seat.  If two seats are needed to be filled the top two
vote getters win the election.  etc.

In a case of two choices the a simple majority should win, with the
possibility of stating "provided 2/3 (or 1/2) of the registered voters
vote."

I grant this does draw the voting process out, but it also eliminates
most political advantages, as well as reasonably guarantees that the
best possible candidate has been elected into office.  This also
eliminates the "how many votes does each person get" question, they get
one per issue.  (which eliminates the ballots being stacked, someone
uses all their votes, someone else only uses one creating a distorted
vote)

George Kougias
gkougias@bigplanet.com