[ga-full] Re: "Domain Names Hijacked" news article (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:00:49 -0400
From: Todd Ashworth <admin@quickdesigns.com>
To: discuss-list@opensrs.org
Subject: Re: "Domain Names Hijacked" news article

Yeah .. just one more example of NSI's unwillingness to get off their butts
and do anything.  This has been a problem for quite a while now.  I first
became aware of it about 8 months ago.  NSI has known about it for a good
while too .. at least those 8 months, probably longer.  Do they fix it?  No!
Do they bother to warn anyone about it? No!  That's one of the many reasons
I abandoned them altogether.

I still have a few domains with them and if I weren't afraid they would
screw it up, I would transfer them to another registrar.  I at least changed
my authentication scheme from E-mail to password, which supposedly fixes the
problem.  It's very simple .. you would think NSI would warn people .. ya
know?

I'm just waiting for the day when some smart@$$ goes and finds a very high
profile name that they can steal.  Then I'll laugh as NSI gets slapped with
a lawsuit for negligence.  They probably have one of those super nifty
clauses that says they aren't responsible for anything that ever did or ever
will happen even if they do it on purpose, but that never stopped anyone
from getting sued ;)

Considering that the 'exploit' is centered around forged E-mail requests to
make the changes and the way NSI's system handles those E-mails, I would
assume that the problem is specific to them and does not affect any OpenSRS
registrars ... right?

Todd