[ga-full] Re: [ga] Yokohama

Joop wrote:

>And then you will find that if you don't belong to the NCDNHC, your
>application is a waste of time.
>see www.icann.salzburgseminar.org/guidelines.htm

I'm not really sure about this.
Salzburg Seminar is one organization that is directing funds to allow
participation in person to the ICANN meetings to people that otherwise
could not afford it.

If they find meaningful applications that would not fit with their rules
, I am sure that they could at least provide alternate suggestions, or
indications to other sponsors, or otherwise keep the ball rolling.

The real point is this one: "meaningful".
The waste of time is do discuss out-of-order things, send messages that
contain offensive statements, and so on.
The re-opening of the debate on the role of individuals in the DNSO is a
 really meaningful subject, where Joop can provide experience and
insight that will be a pity not to utilise in Yokohama.

The point is: are we willing to discuss this subject, in light of the
recent evolution (first of all, the future implementation of the ICANN
Membership), leaving out of the door the polemics that in the past
disrupted this debate? Will we all be able to address this subject
forgetting (or at least leaving in the background) the personality clash
 that made the previous effort abort?
If the answer is "No", the application is a waste of time, I agree.
If the answer is "Yes", I am sure that either the Salzburg Seminar or
other sponsors will be happy to provide funding for allowing this
important and controversial issue to be discussed.

And, to be proactive, I will get the ball rolling on this subject in my

Regards
Roberto