[ga-full] Re: [ga] court curbs icann

John and all,

  For those interested, the complete URL is:
http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=law/View&c=Article&cid=ZZZI5DBFD8C&live=true&cst=1&pc=0&pa=0&s=News&ExpIgnore=true&showsummary=0
This will take you directly to the review...

John B. Reynolds wrote:

> The NLJ article is online: go to <http://www1.law.com/illinois/> and
> scroll down for a link.
>
>     In a ruling on May 3, U.S. District Judge
>     Marvin E. Aspen determined that the court
>     is not bound by proceedings of an ICANN
>     panel. But he indicated uncertainty about
>     just how much deference the
>     administrative procedures should be given.
>     He stayed the federal trademark case
>     pending the outcome of the ICANN
>     decision and said that "at this time we
>     declined to determine the precise standard
>     by which we would refuse the panel's
>     decision and what degree of deference (if
>     any) we would give that decision. Neither
>     the ICANN Policy nor its governing rules
>     dictate to the court what weight should be
>     given to a panel's decision."
>
> Subesequent to the court ruling, the defendant won the UDRP case, see
> <http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/d2000-0187.html>.
>
> Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
> >
> > The National Law Journal headline is a little over-dramatic. What the judge said (correctly) was that if a TM owner *both* initiates a UDRP proceeding and files a cybersquatting lawsuit against a domain-name registrant, then the court hearing the cybersquatting case isn't bound by the outcome of the UDRP proceeding. Weber-Stephen Products Co. v. Armitage Hardware & Building Supply.
> >
> > At 02:00 PM 5/18/00 -0400, Dori Kornfeld wrote:
> > >>>>

> >           Court Curbs Power of ICANN
> >           The National Law Journal
> >           In the first ruling of its kind, a federal judge in Illinois said that courts are not bound by the administrative proceedings of the organization established to provide management of the Internet domain-name system, the Internet Corp. for Assigned Names and Numbers or ICANN.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#