[ga-full] Were you consulted?

As you may know, ICANN suddenly announced last week that it has formed
Election and Nominating Committees, without any visible public input.
The announcement is at
http://www.icann.org/announcements/icann-pr09may00.htm .

Commentary suggesting that there were a few flaws in the process can be
found at http://www.icannwatch.org

New York Times as saying that "Icann directors and staff worked hard to
consult widely in the process of forming these committees,"
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/05/cyber/capital/16capital.html .

As far as I can tell, no one I know was consulted, and am I in touch with
a lot of people interested in ICANN.  My suspicion is that if ICANN did
engage in consultations at all they were limited to participants in the
late gTLD-MOU and/or representatives of large corporations.

In order to test this intuition, I would be very interested in hearing
from anyone who was actually consulted by ICANN prior to this
announcement, whatever their affiliation.

[This message is being cross-posted widely; please feel free to circulate
as appropriate until May 25, 2000]

                        -->It's warm here.<--