[ga-full] Floating root servers and stupid lawyer questions - was: Sunrise

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Michael Graham wrote:

> Poring over today's postings and Ellen et al.'s comments that the
>"trademark interests" are holding the Internet hostage, and I got to
>wondering:
> What is it, exactly, about permitting trademark owners priority to
>register their trademarks as secondary names in new commercial domains
>that threatens the structure of the Internet or free speech?  Other than
>preventing domain name speculators from obtaining trademark/names in the
>new gTLD(s), what dire effects should be of concern?  And if speculation
>is a right which should be permitted and protected, what is the basis for
>presuming this right?

I'll tell you what the whole problem with trademarks is Michael.  It's all
stupid lawyer stuff.  Unfortunately for your team (the lawyers) the
internet has no interest in "stupid lawyer stuff".  Protocols control the
internet and not stupid lawyer stuff.  That's why as we speak there are
discussion in motion on replacing the way the root process operates and in
effect allowing the world to route around ICANN and all the stupid lawyer
stuff.

Regards
Joe Baptista