[ga-full] Re: [Nc-tlds] Re: DNSO Names Council decides it can discount andignore its working groups

I appreciate the comments by Paul Garin and Dr. Joe Baptista.  With
respect to the .union proposal, I believe at this point it is something
that the labor unions will have to address.   I've taken an interest in
several non-commercial TLD proposals, including .union, in part to shape
ICANN rules on new TLDs, and also to provide some information to union
members on this issue.   I just wanted to make it clear that at this
point, CPT or Essential Information does not have plans to apply to
ICANN for a .union registry, and we hope that the union community will
do so on its own behalf, it not right now , in the not distant future.

   We are more likely to be involved in proposals for other civil
society TLDs.

  Jamie

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, !Dr. Joe Baptista wrote:

> There's a few problems with the namespace roots which I'll spell out here.
>
> 1. Non of the namespace root servers provide for zone transfers of the
> root.  Therefore it is impossible to determine what tld space is in them.
>
> 2. Lack of co-operation - when John Hunt enumerated the namespace he
> attempted on numerous occassions to confirm information with
> namespace.  Your people ignored him.  Lack of co-operation in namespace is
> a sure fire way to lose peoples interest.
>
>   John Hunts work in archives at http://www.earth-net.net/GTLD/
>
> 3. According to John's notes - which are still maintained in my private
> files, he contacted all of your tld contacts.  these were the people you
> solicited for namespace creation.  Non of these people had been contacted
> by you, no have they ever heard anything from namespace.  Alot of them
> feel used.  Instead of keeping these resources you have ostrasized them.
>
> 4. When one attempts to check the soa on any namespace root server - one
> get's the IANA soa.  This is not a proper method of operating a root
> file.  If there are problems in the root it should return an soa which
> identifies namespace as the authority - not iana.
>
> 5. The union people have already been advised by me that .union is in
> conflict with your namespace root zone.
>
> 6. I suggest you give up .union to James - according to the hunt records
> .union was created by one of your boys - so that would be an easy thing to
> do:
>
> Top Level Domain:            .union
> Root Server Confederation:   name.space
> Uniform Resource Locator:    http://namespace.pgmedia.net/
> Whois Server:                swhois.net
> Contacts:                    admin@pgmedia.net
>
> and in closing Paul - it would be the right thing to do.  .union should be
> run by the unions and not pgmedia/namespace.  You should simply offer to
> include them in your roots - and I think everyone else (i speak of the
> alternate root servers) will also agree to support .union accordingly.
>
> You have 500 or more gtlds in your root - any your not making any money on
> them - all you've spend money on is legal fees.  So think paul - think
> carefully - because your gesture can serve to break the icann monopoly.
>
> Regards
> Joe baptista
>
> Regards
> Joe Baptista
>
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Paul Garrin wrote:
>
> > The TLD "union." has been operational on Name.Space
> > servers since 1996.  We will be more than happy to
> > work with James Love, the unions, etc. to service
> > this TLD.
> >
> > Registrations can be done online at
> > https://secure.name-space.com/registry
> >
> > New registrants may choose to register for the
> > first year for free.
> >
> > (this is not an ad)
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Paul Garrin
> > Name.Space

> [...]

James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
P.O. Box 19367        | http://www.cptech.org
Washington, DC 20036  | love@cptech.org
Voice 202/387-8030    | Fax 202/234-5176