[ga-full] Re: ICANN/DNSO

I recieved the attached message shortly after my recent post; I find it
interesting.

William, you seem to have missed my points completely, and at the same
time, demonstrate their validity. In a way, I find this amusing.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter at this stage who exists and
who doesn't; it also doesn't matter who's a kook (net or otherwise). For
all I know, you may not exist. For all you know, *I* may not exist. In
fact, I could be you.

The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of the identity of the
people involved in this discussion, the points raised are valid. If an
official voting stage is reached, then identity can be called into
question, through proper processes.

Currently, however, a discussion is all that is going to go on. Granted,
it may be wide-ranging, and it may reach the e-mailboxes of many hundreds
of people, but a discussion is what it will be. To participate, and have
views, an identity crisis is irrelevant.

You see, it doesn't matter whether what I've said is what I believe, or
whether what I've said comes from a product of a mental disease, or just a
bit of fun - it doesn't matter in the slightest.

The reason for this is that the points raised have made people think. It
wouldn't matter if I claimed that I'd been asked by Satan himself to
convey these points. It'd get me laughed at, and if I said it to the wrong
people, it might get be locked up, but it wouldn't alter what I'm saying.

So, for now, ignore *who* is saying what, and just pay attention to what
is being said.

And for the record, if anybody wants to give me a second identity and
refer to me by that name, they can feel free. If possible, I'd like to be
a 24-year-old woman with a nose piercing and no knowledge of the Internet.
My name would be Jackie.

And, through the course of time, Jackie may say many stupid things, and
she might say many clever things, and people would hopefully make people
think about what is being said; regardless of whether Jackie was a real
person or not.

What you have to understand is that we're changing the world. I know
that's cliche, but it's true. In order to change the world, though, you
have to start right in front of your nose.

By taking more notice of *who* is saying things, instead of what is being
said, this only furthers my dismay at the state of these processes.
William's message is a good example of posts of a similar nature I've seen
to ga, and it's a common technique used in court - discredit the witness.
The problem is, what's being offered here isn't evidence, it's thoughts,
feelings, ideas and discussion. While evidence can be discounted if the
source is discredited, ideas cannot.

So, please, I beg - all of you - ignore who you're talking to, for once?

Erm, also...I'm not female, 24 years old, and I don't have a nose ring.
Anybody wishing to fly to England to verify this is welcome to. Otherwise
you'll just have to take my word for it. Shame. :)

Also, for the record, I've not had any accounts from either Jeff or Joe;
I've based my opinions on what I've read. A lot of it isn't part of the
DNSO GA - that merely forms a small part.

Remember, these issues ultimately effect *everybody* who uses, or might
eventually use, the Internet. Let's not screw it up because we can't agree
on things that don't matter right now.

Mo.

--
Mo McKinlay             Chief Software Architect         inter/open Labs
mmckinlay (at) labs.interopen.org               http://www.interopen.org

-- Attached message --