[ga-full] RE: [ga] About GA membership again......

Alf Hansen wrote:

>Yes, I am also an AT-large memeber, just in case. I am a DNSO member
because
>I represent a ccTLD and I am a part of the ccTLD Constituency. Can
somebody
>please explain why individuals (not connected to any organization in a
DNSO
>constituency) should be represented with voting rights in DNSO GA?
>
>(I may step into a can-of-worms her, but I just want to hear the
arguments,
>and perhaps be convinced to change my mind....)

It sure is a can-of-worms, but we should address the problem, anyhow.

I do not mean to try to convince you, but I will just bring my own case.

I am an ICANN At-Large member, like you, and particularly interested in
DN issues (I am also interested in protocols, but that's another issue).

I do not belong to any constituency, for the simple reason that my
(daylight) job is with a company that does not have, at this point in
time, a direct interest in my participation in this process.
Therefore, I am participating as an individual (i.e. on my own time and
expenses) in said (I was about to mispell "said" in "sad") process.

Is there a Constituency for Internet Users that want to have a say in
the process? No, up to now. The only possibility is the GA.
Why not the At-Large? Because it is simply unknown, for the time being,
what the @Large will be.
And even if, why should my specific interest as a DNS user be diluted in
 a more general group like the @Large? Why should I have a forum to
discuss my opinions about protocols in the IETF, but not have a forum to
 discuss my opinions about the DNS? Would you abolish the IETF and
suggest that everybody be just "At Large ICANN Member"? Of course not
(and I will concede that the example is not completely fit, but you
should concede that there are some similarities).

As a bottom line, I think that the individual that does not have a
"professional" involvment, in the sense that he/she does not have a firm
 that sponsors his/her trips and activities in the Internet, still has
something to contribute to this process, and that it will be a gross
mistake not to listen to him/her and to take his/her POV into account if
 we want to build a really global model.

The GA, as it looks now, is the only forum in which the lay[wo]men can
get together and talk about their hobby, and their needs as users.

Incidentally, in my programme before elections, this is what I put in
light, and this is what I still maintain is my first priority.

Regards
Roberto