[ga-full] Re: [TLD History] RANDOM DRAFT 42-B - Delegation of International Top Level Domains (iTLDs)

[feel free to redistribute]

At 10:01 AM 3/30/00 -0800, Simon Higgs wrote:

>http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q1/0482.html
>
>I would recommend EVERYONE on the GA mailing list take a look at this
>document from Jon Postel of IANA. This is the original "new TLD plan", and
>documents many things -
>
>  legal and financial umbrella of the Internet Society (ISOC)
>  open competition in domain name registration in the iTLDs
>  multiple registries to operate cooperatively and fairly
>  creation of new iTLDs in a fair and useful fashion
>  5 new registries to be created in 1996
>  fifteen iTLDs will be created per year for the next five years
>
>There are also many trivia items in this document - the infamous check
>(6.4.4), timetable for introducing new TLDs (6.9.4), the original ad hoc
>committee (5.5), introducing new registries for iTLDs and additional iTLDs
>names (1.6), etc. So now when you hear someone say they followed the
>guidelines laid out by IANA, this is one of the documents they are
>referring to.
>
>Obviously the scenery has changed a little, IANA is now ICANN, etc., but
>most of the general concepts are still valid. Hopefully, we can use what we
>can find consensus on, and move on.
>
>FYI - this is what Dave Crocker is referring to as the "rogue effort".

Mor significant events in ancient DNS history:

Jon advocates use of single letter TLDs:
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1995q4/0198.html

Jons very first rouhg draft for newe TLDs:
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1995q4/0011.html

Five years ago... "where do we go from here?" (down, apparantly :-)
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1995q4/0009.html

"In about a week"
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q1/0057.html

Jons first crack at a business model
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q1/0255.html

"Is there a way to do this now..."
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q1/0397.html

Jons Aprl 1 joke
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q2/0010.html

"ISPs are as free to ignore FCC regulations as TV stations are"
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q2/0079.html

IANA warning to newdom community (odd bedfellows)
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q2/0134.html

Ambler dicsovers newdom
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q2/0584.html

Origin of .web
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q2/0594.html

Close out COM ?
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q2/0610.html

Jons "First things first" missive
http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1995q3/0361.html

5 years later. This is progress?
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc03/msg00489.html

Cheers,

--
richard@tangled.web        richard@dnso.com       http://www.dnso.com
It's about travel on expense accounts to places with good beer. - BKR