[ga-full] [TLD History] RANDOM DRAFT 42-B - Delegation of International Top Level Domains (iTLDs)

http://www.iiia.org/lists/newdom/1996q1/0482.html

I would recommend EVERYONE on the GA mailing list take a look at this
document from Jon Postel of IANA. This is the original "new TLD plan", and
documents many things -

  legal and financial umbrella of the Internet Society (ISOC)
  open competition in domain name registration in the iTLDs
  multiple registries to operate cooperatively and fairly
  creation of new iTLDs in a fair and useful fashion
  5 new registries to be created in 1996
  fifteen iTLDs will be created per year for the next five years

There are also many trivia items in this document - the infamous check
(6.4.4), timetable for introducing new TLDs (6.9.4), the original ad hoc
committee (5.5), introducing new registries for iTLDs and additional iTLDs
names (1.6), etc. So now when you hear someone say they followed the
guidelines laid out by IANA, this is one of the documents they are
referring to.

Obviously the scenery has changed a little, IANA is now ICANN, etc., but
most of the general concepts are still valid. Hopefully, we can use what we
can find consensus on, and move on.

FYI - this is what Dave Crocker is referring to as the "rogue effort".