[ga-full] RE: About .eu - Was: Re: [ga] Meeting on the creation of .EU TLD

At 05:19 PM 3/19/00 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:

You'll shoot yourself in the foot arguing against yourself. :-)

IANA had the authority to introduce new TLDs into the root, as evidenced by
the introduction of ccTLDs during the same time period. This was part of
their NSF contract. At the time, IANA was in the process of defining a new
process (which is now ICANN) to bring competition to NSI, and so new iTLD
applications were solicited during 1995/1996 and accepted by IANA under the
RFC1591 guidelines. The domain name template that InterNIC/NSI used in
those days had the provision for accepting *ALL* TLDs, and this was the
vehicle specified by IANA. These are the historical facts, though there are
a number of reasons why these applications have not been processed. This
supports your argument to the .EU folks.

Unfortunately you equate Joe Baptista with IANA which is a completely
nonsensical thing to do, and the reference is a red herring. Anyone can
create a TLD that will resolve on their own DNS servers. Many private
companies (including Sun) do this behind their firewalls for their Intranet
as part of their security posture (I've done it for a DoD command). If Joe
wants to collect TLDs for use on his servers why not let him? If other
folks want to query his servers, why should you interfere? DNS is supposed
to be a democracy with the end-user having the vote.

>On 20-Mar-2000 Simon Higgs wrote:
> > Especially when there has always been a published process, and IANA have
> > acknowledged receipt of the earliest applications. See RFC1591. Section
> > 3.  The Administration of Delegated Domains
>
>IANA lacked the authority to add new gTLDs and hence any such applications are
>not valid.  The NSF made it very clear that IANA did not have the authority to
>grant or create new Top level domains.  The IANA assumed it had that authority
>(hoped?) but their "process" is no better than Joe Baptista saying you can
>create a new TLD simply by emailing him an "application" since they lacked the
>proper authority to engage in that activity.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds
discuss people, and Fools argue.