[ga-full] Re: [IFWP] Re: [aso-policy] RE: [aso-comment] IPaddressholders - are they represented?

At 10:09 AM 3/14/00 -0800, David R. Conrad wrote:
>Richard,
>
>> Would I be wrong then in taking your positon to be "IP addresses should
>> be managed by a technical process, while domain names should be managed
>> by a political process"?
>
>I do not necessarily feel political processes are the best mechanism to manage
>the DNS, rather I'd say political processes are appropriate for the creation
>of the policies by which the DNS is managed.

Since the policies are not technical the procedures used to create
them would by definition have to be political I suppose.

What is distressing the the secrecy and back room dealing that's taken
place starting with IAHC and inherant in ICANN. "Open and transparent" were
in the USG white paper for a reason and they seem to have been
somewhat oevrlooked. Ditti "inclusive".

Let's look back for a second. In 1996, Jon Postel advocated creating
150 new tlds, and RSN. (http://www.newdom.com/archive/draft-postel-iana-itld-admin-01.txt)

The, under extreme pressure from the TM lobby, IAHC said "7".

Now, ICANN set up a working group to determine "Should there be new
tlds (and how many)".

I'll grant you an element of politicism is to be expected and tolerated,
although it is not mandatory and essential part of the process, but
at what point do we say "ENOUGH! We're going backwards here, not forwards!"

>> It seems to me, so far that professional politicians have had their
>> way with the DNS and the, as you say "people affected" have had
>> pretty mush no say at all.
>
>ICANN is still new.  I remain hopeful.

I think we're all hopeful, David.

--
richard@tangled.web        richard@dnso.com       http://www.dnso.com
It's about travel on expense accounts to places with good beer. - BKR