[ga-full] Re: [IFWP] DNRC on ICANN Elections Study

The Center for Democracy and Technology and Common Cause recently issued
the following press release forwarded by Mr. Fenello, which quoted the
following,

> DOMAIN NAME PUBLIC INTEREST GROUP RELEASES STATEMENT ON 3/3/00 REPORT BY
> CENTER FOR DEMOCRACY AND TECHNOLOGY AND COMMON CAUSE ON PROPOSED ICANN
> GENERAL ELECTION PROCESS
> Date: 3/6/00

snip excess ..

> 1) The existing General Assembly of the Domain Name Supporting
> Organization, ICANN's first experiment in democracy, has so far utterly
> failed.  ICANN has limited the general assembly to a mere public mailing
> list, with no power to select officers, no means to propose policy, and
> mechanism for the public to address the vital policy issues decided in the
> DNSO. ICANN has further muzzled public participation by imposing an
> arbitrary censorship scheme, allowing the list moderator to expel a member
> from the General Assembly with no right of appeal.  ICANN must show that it
> trusts democracy by empowering the General Assembly, otherwise its
> experiment in "cyber-democracy" in the general membership will continue to
> be regarded with skepticism.

I accept full responsibility for this portion of the finding.  Indeed the
GA and the DNSO is a mess and it was a pleasure exposing the fools
there.  Indeed the NC has a big black eye and Harald, Roberto, and
Elizabeth are the parties responsible for the failure and shame.

It's easy to run an accountable organization but much harder to run a
circus of fools like ICANN.

regards
Joe Baptista