[ga-full] Re: [IFWP] [IPN] ICANN asked to create .union, .sucks and other new TLDs (fwd)

> From: James Love <love@cptech.org>

> Dear Esther:
>
> This letter is to propose that Essential Information be permitted
> to establish a registry for new top level domains (TLDs).  It is
> our intention to create several TLDs that would facilitate free
> speech and criticism, and enable consumers, workers and others to
> organize.  Each of these TLDs will be operated under its own
> management charter.

<snip>

> We would like to meet with the ICANN staff to discuss these
> proposals further.

While the proposal in itself has some value, the whole tone of this
letter from CPT - from "Dear Esther" to "meet with the ICANN staff"
- is completely out of place in the present situation.

Who is Esther Dyson or the ICANN "staff" (Berkman Center flunkies)
to be deciding whether, for example, the working people of the
United States should have their own domain names (.union,
.taxpayer)? Is Ms. Dyson, who after all is nothing but a small-time
spin artist, suddenly elevated to President of the United States of
the Internet? And by CPT, no less, which normally speaks for the
American consumer?

A more honest approach would be for CPT and Essential Org to simply
create those domain names, serve them from the alternate root
servers like vrx.net and/or NameSpace, and announce to the public
that they were available. Since when do the taxpayers and union
members ask the stooges of big business like Dyson & Co. for
permission?

This is a shameful period in our history.