[ga-full] Re: [ga] Matters to discuss

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 02:43:19PM -0500, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
> These are excellent points.  I might add that so far as I am aware few of
> the ICANN bodies have made sustained attempts to secure volunteer aid in
> kind instead of in cash.

NCDNHC has no money, so everything it does is through volunteer effort.

> For example, I imagine that both ICANN and the DNSO could find volunteers
> to take over design, maintenance, and perhaps even hosting of their web
> pages.

I think that is largely true for DNSO, but I don't think so for ICANN.
ICANN has a much higher level of fiduciary responsibility than the DNSO
-- for example, it provides the authoritative list of UDRP proceedings.
Volunteer efforts are wonderful, but there is no doubt that they are
not as accountable as paid labor.

>  But AFIK they have never asked - there's nothing visible on the
> web page as far as I can see, for example.  There are of course issues of
> ownership and control, but these surely could be worked out.

I think a central core of services will have to be controlled by ICANN
fairly closely.  But there is a great deal of very important stuff that
could be safely be distributed to volunteers, or other organizations.
That is sort of the supporting organization model, actually.