[ga-full] Re: [ga] Am I a member? How can I know I am a member if there are no other members known?

Harald,

Ok. I'd like to suggest that for reconsideration at some point, but I do remember
the debate and was in favour of getting your ruleset in operation.

However, consider the following. The primary conundrum of early 20th century
mathematics was set theory, a form of membership. If you recollect the formulation
A = { X | X is not a member of X }. and the question:- Is A an element of A? - both
the assumption that A is a member of A and A is not a member of A lead to a
contradiction, leading to Russell's attempted restatement and Godel's
contradictions  The set construction itself appears to give a paradox. If the
primary conundrum of the 21st century is a similar problem of trust in cognitive
entities, to have secret members of a virtual group; although widespread, AOL
style;  seems to imply the same problem when it becomes normative, with the same
scepticism and disbelief as a result.

Best,

MM

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> At 14:08 22.02.00 +0100, Mark Measday wrote:
> >Who did you promise it to?  Can I find the list of this and other resolutions?
>
> Ruleset message.
>
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc03/msg00447.html
>
> relevant text:
>
> "The membership of the lists is not made public."
>
> This was debated a bit before we adopted it.
>
>                  Harald
>
> --
> Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
> Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user of
the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be
privileged.  If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may not
copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it in any
form whatsoever.  If you have received this e-mail in error please
e-mail the sender by replying to this message.