[ga-full] Re: [IFWP] Hague Convention on Jurisdiction and Foreign Judgements

James and all,

  I am in agreement with you here James.  Thanks for the info though.
It seems the plot thickens or sickens, depending on you point of view!  >;)

  I personally find this whole mess far more complicated than it needs
or should be.  But that is just my opinion, I may be wrong...

James Love wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > ---
> > > The Hague Conference on Private International Law has issued a
> > > preliminary draft for a "Convention on Jurisdiction and Foreign
> > > Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters."
> > >   This contains controversial elements regarding electronic commerce.
> > > There will be a meeting of ecommerce experts in Ottawa on February 27
> > > thorugh March 1 to discuss the ecommerce issues.  Consumer groups will
> > > be meeting with US officials about this meeting next week, on February
> > > 22.
> > >
> > > Here are some ULRs for information regarding the proposed convention:
> > >
> > > http://www.hcch.net/e/events/press01e.html
> > > http://cuiwww.unige.ch/~billard/ipilec/
> > > http://www.state.gov/www/global/legal_affairs/whats_new.html
> > > http://www.state.gov/www/global/legal_affairs/991030_forjudg.html
> > >
> > > One contact person in the government is Michael Donohue at the FTC.  His
> > > email address is mdonohue@ftc.gov.

> > >    5.For business-to-consumer transactions, further assessment is
> > > required in the light of all the interests involved. Particularly,
> > > during the second plenary, Professor Catherine Kessedjian proposed to
> > > avoid the traditional dichotomy between the "country of origin" (i.e.
> > > that of the seller or provider) and the "country of reception" (i.e.
> > > that of the consumer). She proposed to start with a process of
> > > site-certification along the lines of the work done within the icc and
> > > other private organisations. This certification process should include
> > > minimum substantive rules of protection for the consumer including
> > > warranties, and a fair and easy dispute resolution mechanism which could
> > > possibly be free of charge to the consumer. When a site has obtained the
> > > certification label, it could provide for the application of the law of
> > > the country of origin and for the courts of that country for the
> > > residual cases which could not be solved by the dispute resolution
> > > mechanism part of the certification. If a site has not been certified,
> > > then the law and the courts of the consumer's location would be
> > > competent.
> > >
> > >    This is a controversial proposal.  I'll provide additional details
> > > later.  Jamie
> > >

> > > --
> > > James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
> > > v. 1.202.387.8030, fax 1.202.234.5176
> > > love@cptech.org, http://www.cptech.org
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Jeffrey A. Williams
> > Spokesman INEGroup (Over 95k members strong!)
> > CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
> > Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
> > E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
> > Contact Number:  972-447-1894
> > Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208

> James Love, Director           | http://www.cptech.org
> Consumer Project on Technology | mailto:love@cptech.org
> P.O. Box 19367                 | voice: 1.202.387.8030
> Washington, DC 20036           | fax:   1.202.234.5176

Jeffrey A. Williams