[ga-full] Re: [IFWP] IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root

Joe and all,

  This is just the first draft of an intent draft, not and RFC yet.  You will
also notice that the references (2) are dated to 1987 time frame.  That
is pretty old and out of date.  The last reference is in 1999, by Donald
Eastlake.  I have had debates with Donald in the past.  He knows that
much of this "Draft" is not based in fact.

  I will say that I am very glad you pointed it out.  Did you find out
what the WG list address is where this is being discussed?  If so,
it may be time for some additional members for purposes of accuracy,
don't you think?  >;)

!Dr. Joe Baptista wrote:

> Looks like the IAB is a bit nervose these days.

> This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.
>
>         Title           : IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root
>         Author(s)       : IAB
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-iab-unique-dns-root-00.txt
>         Pages           : 5
>         Date            : 07-Feb-00
>
> To remain a global network, the Internet requires the existence of a
> globally unique public name space.  The DNS name space is a
> hierarchical name space derived from a single, globally unique root.
> This is a technical constraint inherent in the design of the DNS
> system.  Therefore it is not technically feasible for there to be
> more than one root in the public DNS system.  That one root must be
> supported by a small number of coordinated root servers, and
> administered by a unique naming authority.
> Put simply, deploying multiple public DNS roots would raise a very
> strong possibility that users of different ISPs who click on the same
> link on a web page could end up at different destinations, against
> the will of the web page designers.
> This does not preclude private networks from operating their own
> private name spaces, but if they wish to make use of names uniquely
> defined for the global Internet, they have to fetch that information
> from the global DNS naming hierarchy, and in particular from the
> coordinated root servers of the global DNS naming hierarchy.
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iab-unique-dns-root-00.txt

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com