[ga-full] Re: [ga] Voters interest and Defining a voter's roll

David Schutt wrote:

>If you are referring to me, I'm now subscribed to the list. I've always

>thought there might be others doing the same thing, but I don't
>really know.

There's also another consideration, IMHO.

Once we define a voting mechanism, it should be general, not focused
only about the vote on matters related to the list.

We badly need a voting mechanism for the "whole GA", that is not only
the mailing list, but also the people that choose not to subscribe to it
, for whatever reason, but participate in other activities, like the
WGs.

That's why I like the current proposal of "registering" independently
from subscription to the list, and I disagree with Joop's formulation
below:

>> >In other words for list issues the total voter's roll is nothing
more than
>> >the subscriber list at any given time.

David Schutt again:

>I think the registration role should be public, but not including
actual
>email addresses so that it can't be abused by spammers and others whom
>registrants might not want to receive email from.
>
>Public information could be Name, affiliation (if any) and country of
>citizenship. This should be sufficient for anyone to 'recognize' a
>registrant, and allow challenges to the list if someone thinks it is
>being filled with non-existent people. Requiring id up front would be
>cumbersome and expensive, but if a specific challenge (with some
>reasoning and/or evidence) is made, the subject of the challenge
>should come up with some evidence of actual existence.

I could not agree more.
In fact, we may find out that the challenges will be very few, which
will never justify a cost up front. Moreover, the request for proof of
existence up front may be a further barreer to participation, reducing
the already small voting population.

>Start simple and lightweight, but be aware that problems may occur
>and that they will have to be dealt with.
>
>Multiple registration list maintainers is also a good idea, if
>volunteers can be found. Share the burden and responsibility.

Regards
Roberto