Re: [discuss] Unofficial minutes June 11 1999 Names Council Meeting

Nigel,

We have tried to be very clear about the fact that no actions, decisions or
working groups of the provisional Names Council are related to issues
dealing with ccTLD. There is a work plan from now to the November meeting
in which the issues that will be delt with are clear. We always post the
agendas for the meetings in advance. We are also very clear about the need
for public comment from the general Assembly on anything we plan to decide on.

The only policy issues that will be discussed from now until November are:

1) Conflict Resolution Policy for gTLDs.
2) Tratment of famous trade-marks for gTLDs
3) New gTLDs and the registry(es) that will handle them.

From the beginning we have asked that three observers from the ccTLD
community be included in the NC list. This has just not happenned, and we
cannot be blamed for it. You cannot either blame the NC for the way in
which the ccTLD representatives to the provisional NC have been elected, it
is strictly a problem of your constituency.

Our concern now is that instead of an attitude of working together agreeing
on the issues that we all work on, we seem to be in different sides with
the ccTLD constituency, and this should not be the case. I really believe
that we can agree on what to work on. That way we can assure, all together,
that the concerns of the overall ccTLD community are addressed.

Of course, I cannot talk for the rest of the NC, but I believe that there
is agreement on what I have stated.

Javier