Re: [discuss] Trademarks and WIPO issues - Clarification on TM filings and DN's

Roeland and all,

Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> We really should start monitoring the subject lines folks.

  As you know Roeland, we discussed this last night at some length.
To make this requirement is not realistic or even doable at present
due to existing constraints within the USPTO.

> > on the second, i have heard only one argument in favor of
> > uniform policy
> > which i consider cogent.  a low-ball anything-goes registrar
> > would capture
> > the sleaze/cybersquatter market and make it quite difficult to pursue
> > sleaze, especially in a multi-national context.  i am
> > undecided, but might
> > become more convinced if someone were to propose a *minimal*
> > uniform policy
> > to minimize this problem while not preventing market
> > differentiation and
> > experimentation in this area.  and i am told that recent
> > court cases have
> > already made cybersquatting a less viable strategy.  if so, is this
> > sufficient?  if not, what is the minimal thing we need to help here?
>
> I think current law is sufficient. A minimal policy, under the law, is
> FCFS and ALWAYS follow court-orders from competent jurisdiction. The
> minimal acceptable additional requirement is to require proof of
> trademark before instantiation. Anything else usurps the law and becomes
> extra-legal, therefore unenforcable.

  I think you should correct this slightly.  Proof of filing for a TM should
be
sufficient.  Existing constraints within the USPTO, not to mention some
countries such as say Finland for example, would make this impossible
or at least unworkable...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894