Re: [discuss] Individual representation

Kent and all,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> > If the trademark community is commercial, why would they not wish to join
> > the business constituency?  This in no way implies that owners of trade and
> > service marks would be disenfranchised.
>
> If the registrars and registries are businesses, why don't they
> join the business etc etc

  Because they are a rather unique type of business.  Some that
come along later may not even be businesses in the traditional
sense, as they could be community efforts and non-incorporated.

> The constituencies/GA/AL/SOs are designed to address what were viewed
> as coherent interests that should be represented.  This is not a
> mathematical structure, it is a human structure, and "should be
> represented" was defined mainly through the influence of the loudest
> voices.  You as another loud voice want to add yet more.  It won't
> make things any better.

  I don't think that your definition of "Better" is widely excepted.  "Better"
is a state of mind or an opinion for the most part, which is at the center
of any justification or definition of what a "Constituency" is...

> The framers of the US constitution were a bunch of self-interested
> wise old men went off in private for months and worked to develop a
> fairly coherent and simple structure.

First of all not all of them were old.  Second, they had quite a few
meetings in different groups in different locations, including taverns.  >;)

> It was *not* developed
> through a "transparent, fair, and open process".

  Not true.  Anyone that had a strong enough interest participated and
were encouraged to participate.

> The ICANN formation process, on the other hand was constrained to be
> a product of the loudest voices.  Not surprising that it isn't quite
> as elegant.

  Elegance of a product is not restrained by the type of participation or
the vocality of that participation as the Declaration of Independence
and the US Constitution are stark reminders of.

> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Do good, and you'll be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894