[council]

[council] Procedural concerns with gtld-com.

Council,
allow me to address the concern raised by Thomas Roessler, Council liaison from the At-Large Advisory Committee, and try to separate out the substantive from the procedural which seem to be getting rather mixed-up.
.
Substantive
The three-page draft report reflects the discussions of the gTLDs committee over the last few months. Those pages were written as a whole to answer the Board's request. The report is not a menu, from which to pick and choose the bits one likes. It is not appropriate to take out a few lines that support one point of view and propose that as the report. That would be misleading and do a disservice to member's contributions.
.
It should be noted that the report explicitly says additional work will be necessary to implement the report's recommendations.
.
In a posting to the gTLDs committee, the ALAC representative, has expressed her concern about some of the report's recommendations. These concerns typically speculate on possible implementation strategies of the report's recommendations.  It was not the job of this committee to discuss the implementation strategies. That is future work.
.
Procedural
The main concern expressed by Thomas I understand is that opportunities for public comment have been lacking because there was no policy development process (PDP). Let me remind Council that the committee has done exactly what it said it would do (see list posting of 3 February 2003). Did the Board choose to initiate a PDP itself? No. Did Council recommend a PDP at this early stage? No.
.
Should Council determine at its May 22 meeting that a public comment period should NOW start, that is Council's right.
.
Should Council determine that a PDP should start on some or all of the recommendations within the report, that is Council's right.
.
I believe that such a way forward would be more productive that taking a hatchet to one of the most concise reports ever to emerge from the DNSO/GNSO.
.
Philip Sheppard
Chairman gTLDs Committee