[council]

[council] Legal Breifing Regarding Implementation of New or Changed Policies

  • To: council@dnso.org
  • Subject: [council] Legal Breifing Regarding Implementation of New or Changed Policies
  • From: Louis Touton <touton@icann.org>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 13:09:25 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@dnso.org

To the Names Council:

Recently the Names Council Transfers and Whois Task Forces have posted
interim reports that raise for consideration new or revised policies
that depend on registrars and registry operators for implementation.
Several of registrars and registry operators have expressed alarm
concerning the effect that implementing these proposed policies would
have on their operations, and have indicated that they presently oppose
some of the requirements being considered.

This opposition presents legal issues that could affect the ability to
implement the policies being considered.  To assist the Names Council,
its task forces, and the DNSO generally, I have prepared a briefing on
legal considerations that should be taken into account in developing
policies that are amenable to effective implementation.  I have posted
that briefing at
<http://www.icann.org/legal/briefing-on-implementation-20oct02.htm>.

Best regards,

Louis Touton