[council]

Re: [council] ICANN Board Action on WLS

Harold,

I think the proposed Mission Statement and Core Values (as stated in the
Blueprint), which the Board endorsed in Bucharest, serves as a helpful
guide to the Board's sentiments regarding the standard of analysis.
<http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/blueprint-20jun02.htm#2>

Beyond that general observation, it may be premature to try to generate
a detailed synthesis of principles followed on the standard of review.
Although many principles could be gleaned from the Board's actions until
now (in general, ICANN strives to limit its interference with business
activities, particularly those involving offering new services to
consumers, absent a specific reason), the principles by which ICANN will
operate in the future are very much subject to shaping in the evolution
and reform process currently underway within the community.  A major
goal of the evolution and reform process is to reach a clearer
articulation of ICANN's mission/core values, reflecting a vision that is
broadly shared within the community, and to develop processes that
appropriately express and implement those mission/core values.  This is
important work, and I hope you will continue to devote your time and
talents to the effort.

Best regards,

Louis Touton