[council]

[council] ICANN Board Action on WLS

  • To: council@dnso.org
  • Subject: [council] ICANN Board Action on WLS
  • From: Louis Touton <touton@icann.org>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:21:40 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@dnso.org

To the Names Council:

This morning the ICANN Board met to consider VeriSign's 21 March 2002
request for certain amendments to the .com and .net registry services to
permit the offering of a Wait Listing Service for a fee.  As you are
aware, in response to the Board's earlier request the DNSO gave advice
on various aspects of the VeriSign request.

At this morning's meeting, the ICANN Board authorized the ICANN
President and General Counsel to conduct negotiations with VeriSign
toward appropriate revisions to the .com and .net registry agreements to
provide for the offering of a wait-listing service as proposed by
VeriSign, with six additional conditions.  As you will note from the
resolution, the Board drew heavily from the advice developed by the task
force's efforts, which it found to be very helpful in establishing the
conditions.  The Board is grateful to the Names Council and the task
force for coordinating this work.

The resolution adopted is posted at
<http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-23aug02.htm#VeriSignWLSProposal>

I'd like to add my personal thanks to those of the Board for the hard
work and constructive advice that the Names Council, task force, and
DNSO participants gave on this issue.

Best regards,

Louis Touton