DNSO Mailling lists archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[council] NC teleconference minutes, August 1, 2002

[To: council@dnso.org]

Dear Council Members,
Please find the minutes of the last teleconference, August 1, 2002,  below.
If you would like any changes to be made, please let me know.
Thank you
        DNSO Names Council Teleconference on 1 August 2002 - minutes
1 August 2002.

Proposed agenda and related documents

List of attendees:

Elisabeth Porteneuve   ccTLD
Oscar Robles Garay     ccTLD absent, no apologies
Philip Sheppard        Business
Marilyn Cade           Business
Grant Forsyth          Business
Greg Ruth              ISPCP
Antonio Harris         ISPCP
Tony Holmes            ISPCP
Philipp Grabensee      Registrars absent, no apologies
Ken Stubbs             Registrars
Bruce Tonkin           Registrars
Roger Cochetti         gTLD
Jordyn Buchanan        gTLD
Cary Karp              gTLD
Ellen Shankman         IP absent, apologies, proxy to J. Scott Evans
Laurence Djolakian     IP absent, apologies, proxy to J. Scott Evans
J. Scott Evans         IP absent, no apologies,
Harold Feld            NCDNH
Chun Eung Hwi          NCDNH absent, no apologies
Erick Iriate           NCDNH

14  Names Council Members

Alexander Svensson     GA Alternate Chair

Glen de Saint Géry     NC Secretary
Philippe Renaut          MP3 Recording Engineer/Secretariat

MP3 recording of the meeting by the Secretariat:

Quorum present at 15:10 (all times reported are CET which is UTC + 2 during
summer time in the northern hemisphere).

Philip Sheppard chaired this NC teleconference.

Item 1. Approval of the Agenda

Philip Sheppard added:
- an order change to the agenda taking Item 4 early.
- the next Names Council teleconference date
- DNSO Board member election
- confirmation of J. Scott Evans as UDRP Task Force Chair

The agenda was approved.

Item 2. Summary of last meeting:

Ken Stubbs moved the adoption of the summary, seconded by Grant Forsyth.
The motion was carried.
Decision 1: Summary adopted.

Item 4. ICANN Reform - discussion and vote on revised NC resolution on the
composition of the new GNSO Council

Philip Sheppard introduced a revised NC resolution on Reform saying that
after the Board's conditional adoption of the Blueprint (subject to
geographic diversity and a bottom up process), and following input received
from Council members, he proposed Council focus on one issue, namely, the
number of constituency representatives on the proposed GNSO council.

Marilyn Cade proposed a friendly amendment to make it clear the NC may have
future resolutions. This was agreed.  Support for the motion was expressed
by Marilyn Cade, Ken Stubbs, Tony Harris, Tony Holmes and Elisabeth
Porteneuve, all of whom felt that 3 representatives would both better manage
the workload and assure better geographic diversity.

Friendly amendments were made by Bruce Tonkin, Marilyn Cade, Ken Stubbs and
Tony Harris which emphasised in particular the workload of Council and the
importance of three representatives to share that workload.

Philip Sheppard proposed voting on the full resolution as amended. This was
seconded by Bruce Tonkin.

Whereas the Names Council has produced a set of recommendations for ICANN
evolution and reform;

Whereas, the ICANN Board at its Bucharest meeting in June 2002 resolved that
the Board endorses the Evolution and Reform Committee (ERC) Blueprint for
Reform, and described it as being broad outlines;

Whereas the Board instructed the ERC to oversee implementation with the
participation of the ICANN community;

Whereas the Board resolved that further opportunities for strengthening
ICANN's capacity to fulfill its mission should be utilized;

Whereas the Board instructed the ERC to take due account of certain
fundamental issues:
- geographic and cultural diversity in all parts of ICANN structure,
- a policy development processes that enhances and promotes a transparent
bottom-up process.

GNSO council.
The Blueprint's proposed two representatives per Constituency fails the
Board's test of geographic and cultural diversity within the constituency.
With three representatives per constituency, the majority of ICANN regions
ARE represented. With two, the majority of ICANN regions are NOT adequately

The Blueprint's proposed two representatives per Constituency fails the
Board's test of a bottom-up process. Experience has shown that three
representatives improves the constituencies ability to share the workload of
a council member, to be able to participate in task forces of the council,
and to outreach to multiple regions, thus enhancing and promoting a
transparent bottom-up process.

Without prejudice to future NC commentary in this area, the Names Council
resolves therefore to recommend the following implementation of the
Blueprint, without which ICANN will fail to take account of the above
fundamental issues:

there should be three representatives per Constituency on the GNSO council.

11 voted in favour, 1 abstention (gTLD), no vote was recorded for Roger
Cochetti or Philipp Grabensee.
The motion was carried.
Decision 2: motion adopted.

Commentary on preliminary report of Evolution Reform Committee policy
development task force

Marilyn Cade commented that much had been learnt about policy development
over the last few years but this learning was not being reflected in the
output of the ERC TF on policy development.

Bruce Tonkin, a member of the Names Policy Development Process Assistance
Group (NPDPAG), said that there had been a marked shift in procedure from
the first call of the ERC TF which sought wide participation to the second
which appeared to be driven from the top. Harold Feld emphasised the
maturing process of the Names Council and that restructuring should look at
the good work in particular of the last 6 months, to which Bruce Tonkin
added that this maturing process also benefited from new documented
procedures that the Names Council now had.

(Discussion continued after a break to handle the admin items below).
Philip Sheppard said that any general or particular input to the Evolution
Reform committee policy development group could be transmitted to the
committee by Bruce Tonkin or himself.
Tony Harris quoting section 6 from the present ICANN bylaws on the structure
of the board of directors that requires international representation. "One
citizen of a country situated in each geographical region can serve as an
At-Large director on the Board" asked whether the same bylaws would be
applied or what policy would be implemented to replace it with regard to the
eight directors elected from the nominating committee.
Alexander Svensson, GA alternate chair, asked the members of the task force
to consider the role of the GA as it would be disadvantageous to tag on a
role at the end or allow the GA to become a mere mailing list.  He drew
attention to a document, "Reforming the GA", authored by Thomas Roessler and
Philip Sheppard said that the definition in the blueprint of the GA is
narrow but that the current outreach role of the GA beyond constituencies
was a part of the work of the task force on public outreach chaired by Becky

Ken Stubbs proposed Council set a provisional date for a meeting in August.
The Chair proposed August 29, 2002.
Decision 3: motion adopted

Item 3: Administrative items.

a) Approval timetable NC chair elections
Decision 4: timetable approved.

b) Election by the task force of J.Scott Evans as chairman of the UDRP Task
Decision 5: elected UDRP chair confirmed.

c) Board Elections.
The time has come to elect a DNSO representative on the Board, at present
filled by Alejandro Pisanty.
ICANN has given no response to a request for clarification on this point in
view of the current Reform process.

Ken Stubbs commented that the Names Council is still operating and has
administrative responsibilities as an on-going concern which should not be
stopped. Elisabeth Porteneuve said that another supporting organisations had
proceeded with an election to replace a board member.

Philip Sheppard suggested addressing the issue as a request from the Names
Council to the ICANN staff
saying that if nothing to the contrary was heard, the elections would
Decision 6: Ph. Sheppard will e-mail ICANN staff with that intent.

Philip Sheppard closed the meeting saying that there would definitely be a
Names Council teleconference on September 12, 2002, and if necessary on
August 29, 2002.

The teleconference ended at 16:00

Next NC teleconference will be on 12 September at 15:00 Paris time, 13:00
UTC/GMT or if deemed necessary 29 August at 15:00 Paris time, 13:00 UTC/GMT.

     See all past agendas and minutes at
     and calendar of the NC meetings at


                 Information from:  © DNSO Names Council

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>