[council]

[council] Re: "...no DNSO rep has ever come from the U.S. and no dire consequences have resulted."

Jonathon:

You appear to have attributed Jim Flemming's quote to me.  The only
thing in the reply you send that was mine is the opening line in quotes.
  The rest is Flemming.

My point was simply that assumptions regarding the geographic allocation
of seats are often mistaken.  I was responding to Philip's concern that
if there were not three seats from SOs, one seat would automaticly go to
a NA rep and the rest of the world would fight over the second.

My point was that such assumptions pertaining to U.S. or NA influence
over ICANN affairs is highly exagerated.  We could easily have two
members from other regions beside NA.

(Indeed, as an American, I in fact feel my government doesn't do nearly
enough to represent my national interests as opposed to other
grovernments -- precisely because NTIA is so sensitive to appearing as
if they dominate the process.)

I have never questioned that this is difficult for directors.
Needlessly, in my opinion, because I believe that Directors should take
a less active role, but that is an entirely seperate argument and one I
have already conceded as lost.

On the issue of 2 v. 3 reps from the SOs, I think 3 is better. The
relationship between size and efficiency is not a linear one.  A large
Board can function smoothly, while a Board of only 5 can be deadlocked
or manage itself in an inefficent fashion.  I personally believe that
the trade off for representation is worth it for the additional hassle.
But this is not compelling. At the end of the day, 2 v. 3 is a value
judgment because this isn't an exact science.

Harold