[council]

[council] Non-commercial consticuency

  • To: "Names Council (E-mail)" <council@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [council] Non-commercial consticuency
  • From: "Harold J. Feld" <hfeld@mediaaccess.org>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:25:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@dnso.org

Phillip, thanks you for raising this on the list.  I vote to approve, of
course.

In moving forward, I would like everyone to keep in mind that although
the policy was drafted over a year ago, NCDNHC is the first test case of
this policy working its way to conlusion.  We are, in effect, the
policy's "shakedown" cruise and we are developing the appropriate
procedures as we go.

As such, while I agree with both Roger and Ken that the NC should not
change the rules willy-nilly, that is not how I perceive what we are
doing here.  We are not changing the policy, implementing the policy for
the first time and learning as we go.

For example, although the policy provides that the delinquent
consticuency may, in response to the show cause letter, chose to show
cause why they should be exempt, it does not provide a roadmap for how
the NC will make a determination that the delinquent consticuency has
shown sufficient cause.

This sort of thing is to be expected.  No matter how carefully drafted a
policy, the first few implementations will require a good deal more time
and work than later applications that become more routine.

We now have the additional complication that this proceeding must take
place during the busiest and possibly most critical time in ICANN's
structural evolution.  Not surprisingly, the bulk of energy of the NC
reps and the constituencies is focused on structural reform.  While the
day-to-day business of the consticuency must be done, and is being done,
it is understandably slower and harder to do under these circumstances.
 Add to this that all NC reps are busy people doing ICANN on top of an
already imposible schedule, scattered over numerous time zones, and it
is understandable why things are moving slower, and with less certainty,
than anyone would like.

Harold Feld