[council]

Re: [council] Nomination for NC Chair

J. Scott:
As chair of the .org Task Force, I can vouch that
Cary Karp was a vital contributor to that Task force,
playing a major role in crafting the report and in
identifying policies that might achieve consensus.

He did not chair a TF during his tenure as a Names
Councillor but then, neither did the current chair
prior to his election as Chair.

I would see the chair's role not as a reward for past
work in the DNSO but as a purely ministerial function
that requires the ability to run meetings well and the
perform the preparatory work that make productive
meetings possible.

>>> "J. Scott Evans" <jse@adamspat.com> 02/21/02 09:38AM >>>
Dear Richard:

In your nomination of Cary ,you stated that he has been involved in the ICANN process for a number of years.  Unfortunately, however, I am quite unfamiliar with any of Cary's past accomplishments and/or participation within the ICANN process, beyond is obvious involvement with the establishment of .museum.  My lack of knowledge may simply be due to my unfamiliarity with the NC.  Nevertheless, I was wondering whether you could elaborate on this statement by providing the members of the NC with more information regarding Cary's involvement and participation within the DNSO.  Specifically, can you provide us with a list Working Groups and/or Task Forces on which Cary has participated.  I would be specifically interested to know any if he has ever Chaired any such groups within the DNSO.  In addition, I would be interested to know whether Cary was involved in the DNSO prior to his election to the NC.  I believe this type of information would be very useful as NC members ponder the upcoming election.

Regards.

J. Scott Evans
ADAMS, SCHWARTZ & EVANS, P.A.
jse@adamspat.com