From: Cade,Marilyn S - LGA [mailto:mcade@att.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 11:09 PM
To: 'Chicoine, Caroline G.'; 'council@dnso.org'
Cc: 'Grant Forsyth'; 'Philip Sheppard'; 'Thomas Roessler'; 'Alexander
Svensson'
Subject: RE: [council] NC Chair Election

Caroline,

Thank you for your clarification of your motion.

As one of the BC elected reps, I offer the following comments:

First, I support your motion to enable Philip Sheppard to stand for one term
of 6 months, as a waiver of provision of Section 1.1 of rules of Procedure
for the DNSO.

second, as I  understand your email, you are recommending that since
disparate views exists on 1)rotation 2) terms 3) qualifications, that the NC
take up this as a topic of discussion.

I fully support that recommendation. In fact, the NC has been evolving, and
lacks many documented procedures; this should not be a surprise, given it's
"youth", but it is time to undertake more formalization of these processes.

Some believe that "rotation" is fair and essential and have not addressed
competency in this; others think that neutrality of the chair is the
essential ingredient and also have not addressed other factors; others think
that skill in effective group management process is the essential element;
there may be other views, which haven't been heard yet, since we haven't
discussed this in the NC.   In short, this set of issues deserves discussion
within the NC.

Therefore, I support:
a) Caroline's resolution to waive the provision to enable Philip Sheppard to
run for a 6 month term. This enables Philip Sheppard and others to stand for
a 6 month term.

b) a further separate discussion about terms, qualifications, neutrality,
etc. outside of this election, but to take  place in an expedited manner so
that further elections can be undertaken under new rules.