[council]

[council] Proposed Letter to the Board

Philip,

Perhaps after you vote on the Review task force report, you could send this
accompanying letter to the Board:

Dear members of the Board,

The Names Council after intensive efforts has completed a review of its own
organization as directed by the Board in Yokohama.  We have concluded that:

1.  No changes in the bylaws are needed -- everything in the DNSO is just
peachy.
2.  Working Groups suffered from the lack of a sharp set of guidelines.
Accordingly, we have solved the problem by eliminating working groups.
3.  The challenge of outreach and language diversity is beyond the scope of
the DNSO.  We have therefore passed the buck to the ICANN staff.
4.  Strong support exists for an individuals' constituency, but we don't want
them in the DNSO.

Having received well over 4000 comments from the DNSO membership regarding
the need to restructure the DNSO, we have concluded that only our opinions
matter and that nothing will be done.

We submit this report in full confidence that the Board will agree that the
DNSO remains a shining example of functionality within the ICANN
organization.  We wish to thank you for having allowed the DNSO to conduct
its own internal review, and are delighted to be able to report that the
Council thinks that we did a really great job this time.