[council]

RE: [council] Item 2 NC agenda

I strongly support Peter's statement (with the exception of
the implicit endorsement of sunrise).

As I have stated before, name exclusions or reservations across
ALL tlds is a very blunt and crude policy instrument that is
fundamentally at odds with the nature of DNS protocol, which
was designed to hierarchically delegate assignment authority.

The best way for government to create "official" web sites
reflecting their views is within their country codes.

The sweeping rights in names created by such reservations
have no basis in any national or international law or treaty.
The process of creating such reservations must go through
the DNSO at any rate, which is responsible for initiating
domain name policy.

>>> "Peter de Blanc" <pdeblanc@usvi.net> 10/04/01 09:52AM >>>
I am opposed to this, especially the first paragraph which would totally
exclude the geographic names.

Once begun, there could be "mission creep".

If countries wish to register their names, that is, governments, let
them attempt to do so in the sunrise period, and make a case with WIPO.

This is an example of regulation which interferes with private business.

Finally, official sites in ccTLD gould be under .gov.xx  or .info
perhaps  .gov.xx.info

for example   Tokyo.gov.jp  or  Tokyo.gov.jp.info

Peter de Blanc