[council]

[council] FW: Sept 19 -- BNA, Inc. Electronic Commerce & Law Report

Please find below a print out from BNA's Electronic Commerce and Law Report
that states "According to the task force's chairman, two North American
representatives were removed and one from Peru and one from Malaysia were
added."

I have reviewed the minutes of the Sept 8th meeting and saw nothing to the
effect of deleting anyone from the Task Force, but just wanted to confirm
same.  Milton, you may want to contact BNA to tell them to get their story
straight.

Also, can someone finally confirm for me whether the addition of the two
people proposed in Montevideo has been officially accepted by the NC.

> ----------

________________________________

ELECTRONIC COMMERCE & LAW REPORT
Highlights & Table of Contents
Wednesday, September 19, 2001
________________________________

Registered Web subscribers can access the full text of these
articles by using the URL link supplied.

Information about becoming a subscriber or signing up for a
FREE Web trial is available at http://web.bna.com or call
BNA Customer Relations at 1-800-372-1033, Mon. - Fri. 8:30
am - 7:00 pm (ET).

Visit BNA's Intellectual Property Law Information Center to
sample the authoritative content, access valuable documents,
and find other IP resources:   http://ipcenter.bna.com
__________

HIGHLIGHTS
__________

ICANN'S NEW UDRP REVIEW TASK FORCE TO HANDLE RANGE OF
CONCERNS

The geographical make-up of a task force assembled to review
the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Process becomes
the subject of some controversy at the Internet Corporation
for Assigned Names and Numbers meetings in Montevideo,
Uruguay. According to the task force's chairman, two North
American representatives were removed and one from Peru and
one from Malaysia were added in response to complaints of
overrepresentation of North American interests. . . . Page
983

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4r9z2e7_

BREACH CONTRACT CLAIMS IN LICENSE NOT PREEMPTED BY COPYRIGHT
LAW

Claims of unfair competition and breach of promises made in
a computer program license--which included a confidentiality
clause, a duty to notify the plaintiff of improper use, and
a promise to sue third parties over lost confidential
information--are not preempted by federal copyright law, a
federal district court in New Jersey rules. The court
concludes, in an opinion designated as unpublished, that the
claims asserted by the plaintiff were sufficiently different
from a copyright infringment claim, thus avoiding federal
preemption of the plaintiff's state-law causes of action. .
. . Page 986

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t0z9q4_

CANADIAN COURT FINDS IMPLIED LICENSE FOR DOCUMENTS POSTED
ONLINE

For any document published digitally on the Internet there
is an implied license to reproduce or copy that document to
the extent necessary to make personal use of it, a Canadian
federal court rules. At the very least, posting decuments on
the Internet implies authorization to reproduce them to the
extent necessary to convert them from their digital from
into an English text that can be read by people, the court
says. . . . Page 987

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t0z2b7_

GAO SAYS POOR MANAGEMENT LEAVES U.S. VULNERABLE TO CYBER
ATTACKS

Critical federal government computer systems continue to be
vulnerable to cyber attacks despite repeated past warnings
by government watchdogs, the General Accounting Office says
in a report released. The GAO, which is the investigative
agency of Congress, blamed poor management at government
agencies for not taking the cyber attack threat seriously. .
. . Page 982

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4r9k5z6_

Lead Report

PRIVACY: The Senate approves a measure that would broaden
the reach of the federal pen register and trap-and-trace
device statute by explicitly including some digital
surveillance technologies--such as the FBI's Carnivore
machine--and by increasing the number of offenses for which
electronic surveillance is available to include violations
of the federal terrorism and computer crime statutes. A few
days later, U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft calls for
even more expansion of federal wiretap authority--he wants
orders that cover the suspect rather than the device
employed. . . . Page 980

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1k2w4_

________________

ALSO IN THE NEWS
________________

COMPUTER CRIME: European governments have bowed to U.S.
demands for late changes to the draft European Cybercrime
Convention. International law experts agree to include a
"federal clause" in the final version of the convention. . .
. Page 984

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1v1k8_

CONTENT REGULATION: A set of recommendations adopted by the
Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers asks governments
to encourage the development of self-regulatory bodies to
oversee the creation and administration of content labeling
schemes. . . . Page 984

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1p7n3_

TRADEMARKS: WIPO posts a list of the domain names being
challenged under the sunrise challenge procedure created for
the new .info generic top level domain. . . . Page 985

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1a0m6_

ANTITRUST: California and New York's attorneys general say
that any remedy fashioned in the federal and state
governments' case against Microsoft must project into the
future and should include close scrutiny of Windows XP,
Microsoft's latest version of its personal computer
operating system. . . . Page 983

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4r8f0y5_

PRIVACY: Federal regulators have resolved a major privacy
concern for mortgage lenders, saying they can use loan
account numbers to track mortgage documents when they are
listed in public records. . . . Page 985

http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t0k8j3_

_________________

TABLE OF CONTENTS
_________________

LEAD REPORT

PRIVACY
   Senate bill brings Carnivore under pen register,
   trap-and-trace statute; CFAA crimes are predicates . . .
   Page 980
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1k2w4_

____

NEWS
____

ANTITRUST
   Two big states urge close scrutiny of Microsoft's Windows
   XP release . . . Page 983
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4r8f0y5_

COMPUTER CRIME
   Council of Europe agrees to U.S. demand for "federal
   clause" in cybercrime treaty . . . Page 984
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1v1k8_

CONTENT REGULATION
   CoE recommends developing self-regulatory bodies for
   labeling, filtering . . . Page 984
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1p7n3_

INTERNET GOVERNANCE
   ICANN forms UDRP review task force to handle wide range
   of concerns . . . Page 983
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4r9z2e7_

NETWORK SECURITY
   Poor management leaves U.S. agencies vulnerable to cyber
   attacks, GAO reports . . . Page 982
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4r9k5z6_

PRIVACY
   Lenders can put loan account numbers on mortgage
   documents in public records . . . Page 985
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t0k8j3_

TRADEMARKS
   WIPO posts .info domain sunrise challenge list . . . Page
   985
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1a0m6_

_________________

COURT PROCEEDINGS
_________________

COPYRIGHTS
   Breach of confidentiality, security promises in license
   not preempted by copyright law . . . Page 986
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t0z9q4_

   Canadian court finds implied license to copy documents
   posted on Internet . . . Page 987
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t0z2b7_

SECURITIES REGULATION
   Internet investment "game" operator must face federal
   securities law charges . . . Page 987
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1z3z5_

______________

TABLE OF CASES
______________

Guillot v. Arvic Search Services Inc. (Can. Fed. Ct.) . . .
Page 987
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t0z2b7_

Operating System Support Inc. v. Wang Laboratories Inc.
(D.N.J.) . . . Page 986
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t0z9q4_

Securities and Exchange Commission v. SG Ltd. (1st Cir.) . .
. Page 987
   http://pubs.bna.com/ip/BNA/eip.nsf/id/a0a4t1z3z5_

   __________
   Electronic Commerce & Law Report (ISSN 1523-5661)
   Highlights are published weekly by The Bureau of National
   Affairs, Inc., 1231 25th St., NW, Washington, DC 20037.

   For account information and changes, contact
   1-800-372-1033 (M-F, 8:30 am-7:00 pm ET)

   To request retransmission or to order a copy of the
   summarized article, contact 1-800-452-7773 or e-mail
   bnaplus@bna.com.

   For copyright guidelines, go to
   http://www.bna.com/corp/copyright.

   Copyright (c) 2001 by The Bureau of National Affairs,
   Inc.  Washington, D.C.  20037.    For guidelines, go to
   http://www.bna.com/corp/copyright .Use of this service is
   subject to the terms and conditions of the license
   agreement with BNA.  Unauthorized access or distribution
   is prohibited.