From: owner-council@dnso.org [mailto:owner-council@dnso.org]On Behalf Of
Elisabeth Porteneuve
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 6:24 AM
To: council@dnso.org; philip.sheppard@aim.be
Subject: Re: [council] List administration

Philip,

Thank you for taking on your shoulders the mailing list
issue during the last NC call.

It is unfortunate I had a plane to catch and could not
give some clarification by myself.

Setting up lists on the DNSO is not only a short technical
exercise.

The majority of time on new GA lists was spent in clarifying
with new and old GA Chairs and List Monitors the lists
requirements, the rules applied to each list and the rules
applied accross lists. The procedures for posting rights
handling, the synchronization between Lists Monitors decision
and Secretariat, the timely technical implementation.

There is more than 1300 subscribers to all active DNSO lists
(more than 900 different e-mail addresses), and more than 300
subscribers to the DNSO Voting Registry.
The DNSO lists maintenance duties includes watching technical
problems as well as bounces handling and providing answers to those
who get lost and ask for help in unsubscribing or modifying
addresses. Depending on traffic (either induced by e-mail addresses
belonging to lists, and which may have temporary or permanent
problems, or par cross posting, or par spaming, par chain-mails,
par some automated answers, etc.), the usual load at listadmin
is more than two hundred delivery-reports two times a day.

As for my opinion for ga and ga-full lists, they are both
associated and in equilibrum, adopted by the GA members
after several months of work by former Chairs, Roberto Gaetano
and Harald Alvestrand.
Closing the ga-full list is not an independent decision, and may
destabilize the compromise achieved one year ago.

I am asking the NC Colleagues to reconsider this.

Elisabeth Porteneuve