[council]

[council] Alternate Roots: A discussion paper

I agree with those who have advocated the need to discuss this matter and to
develop a policy contribution to the Board. I contribute the following paper
in order to facilitate productive discussion within the NC.
I have also attached it as a Word document for those who find this easier.
I may not be able to join the call, which is a real shame, but I look
forward to the results of the discussion.

Alternate Roots Issues
Paper for Discussion

By Grant Forsyth, BC Rep

I have noted the discussions that has been circulating on the NC mail list
on the matter of Alternate Roots and the suggestion that there be a
discussion on the next audio.  I thought it would be useful to make some
opening observations and proposed policy directions that could form the
basis for that discussion.

Some founding principles
In considering the question of alternate roots, it should be taken as given
that:
1.	A unique naming scheme is an absolute requirement for an orderly and
stable Internet. See
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/iab-tech-comment-27sept99.htm (is there
any further update on this technical view?)

2.	ICANN and parties in support of ICANN have no ability or wish to
influence the operations of other enterprises outside the purview of ICANN -
such as the Pacific and Atlantic Roots

3.	While "increasing competition" is one of the objectives of ICANN
this must necessarily be restricted to address those operations operating
within the sphere of ICANN's responsibility.

4.	ICANN does need to actively manage the Internet space that it has
responsibility for and the DNS within it, in order to maintain stability.

I would contend that the above four points do NOT need discussion, hence our
discussion can focus on what policy directions we might propose to the ICANN
Board in order to meet these principles.

Elaboration on the need for principle 1
I think it might be instructive to build the case for principle 1.  There is
enough that is confusing and concept challenging about the Internet for most
businesses and individuals, that removing any added confusion derived from
conflicting or misrepresented naming schemes has to be hugely beneficial.
Leaving aside issues of fraudulent misrepresentation, there is simply the
burden of time wasting for users in not reaching the address that they
expect to reach.  For businesses there is the additional issue of ensuring
that your trademarks are properly protected and represented on the Internet.

Possible Policy Directions
Working from the above "givens", it now behoves the NC to articulate policy
in order that the ICANN Board can formulate plans and processes to ensure
Principle 4 above is implemented.  I suggest the following for discussion:
A.	Given 2 above, ICANN should not seek to "coordinate" anything with
any other party that chooses to do its own thing in its own space.  Other
parties should be left to develop their own naming scheme for use in their
own name space.  If they choose to implement naming schemes that are
similar, or more importantly, confusingly similar, that should not be of any
concern to either their users or users in the ICANN DNS space as the two
naming spaces will be operated quite separately.

B.	ICANN should not seek to limit naming schemes that other operators
might choose to develop in their private space, to do so might be construed
as being anti-competitive.

C.	ICANN, on behalf of its stakeholders, should take as many active
measures as it can to maintain the stability of the DNS that it is
responsible for.  Such measure might include:
	i)	ICANN should include requirements for specific performance
in contracts with those parties who require authorisation from ICANN to
operate in the ICANN DNS space, EG Authorised Registries and Registrars be
required to not misrepresent other name structures as being related to or
accessible from within the ICANN DNS space.
			Note: This is NOT to suggest ICANN seek to restrict
the ability of a Registry or Registrar from also working with an
organisation other than ICANN.

	ii)	ICANN should consider the merits of forming contractual
relationships with other parties where there is no current formal
contractual relationship.  This would be with the express purpose of
enhancing stability and reducing confusion.  Such parties might include non
gTLD registrars, ISPs, web browser providers, even individual commercial
domain name holders.  This should be a positive win-win relationship.

	iii)	ICANN should, with the assistance of its wide stakeholder
base, promote the unique qualities and benefits of operating in the Internet
Space for which it has management responsibility.

The "problem" of new.net
With regards to the "problem" of new.net, I suggest a similar variant to
that above. In my view, the issue with new.net is not that they are creating
sub-domains that are similar to gTLDs.  They should be free to do so, just
as ccTLDs should be free to do so.  The problem is that it appears that
new.net is misrepresenting how these domains eg, www.your.biz.new.net, are
going to be able to be promoted eg. as www.your.biz and then working with
ISPs (anyone else?) to have them conspire with new.net to support this
misrepresentation by way of corrupting the unique resolution of truncated -
hence not unique - names.

Again ICANN should be actively managing a resolution to the problem along
the lines of:
i.	Strengthening contracts with Registries and Registrars to include
specific performance clauses on the misrepresentation of a gTLD.

ii.	Creating the same positive "authorisation" process with ISPs and
others, based upon their support not to misrepresent and mis-resolve unique
domain names.

As an aside
I take as a useful model, in developing my thinking on the ICANN DNS and
anyone else's DNS, is that of telephone numbering.

The ITU is responsible for ensuring a globally unique numbering scheme
operates for its constituent members (those countries that are members of
the ITU or who choose to abide by its rules).  In so doing, the ITU is the
sole manager and issuer of country codes eg +44 for the UK, +64 for NZ.  The
country code is allocated to Government authorised body (NOTE: The only
reason that the Government comes into play here is a quirk of history and
that telephone numbering is generally geographically constrained - I am not
suggesting that Governments are a necessary element in the allocating of
ccTLDs).  The duly authorised holder of a country code will then be free to
develop the sub numbering scheme, eg, area codes, toll free codes, local
number ranges, etc, within a very high level overall number length
limitation.

While all PSTN (public switched telephone network) operators develop their
own numbering schemes within the ITU and authorised government numbering
management authority, to ensure the PSTN numbering scheme is unique, they
are also free to develop their own - and quite likely conflicting - private
numbering schemes for their VPN (virtual private networks).  Each operator
is required to manage the interface between their VPN and the PSTN so that
their clients do not have any "confusing conflicts".  They most certainly do
not represent to either their VPN users or the users of another PSTN, that a
customer's VPN number is contactable from another PSTN.

Regards

Grant Forsyth
Manager Industry & Regulatory Affairs
CLEAR Communications Ltd
Private Bag 92143 Auckland
ph +64 9 912 5759
fx +64 9 912 4788
Mobile (021) 952 007
email grant.forsyth@clear.co.nz
 <<Alternate Root Issues for Discussion.doc>>

Alternate Root Issues for Discussion.doc